Thursday, April 14, 2005

Musings101 : 1

Attended a quaint 2hr workshop conducted by the National Library Board this morning. Showed us some clips from movies and ads. Supposed to derive principles and learning points on creativity and innovation from these clips.

I, however, found it quite "a trip down memory lane" after watching the clips. FYI, the clips shown were from Cinema Paradiso, Cool Runnings and M*A*S*H and some others.

Anyway...just to recap, Cinema Paradiso won an Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 1989. I last watched it on Channel 12...or Premiere 12. Can't recall when..but it was at least 10 years ago. I loved this film...it's a poignant, touching, funny, heartwarming and sad movie..made me tear when i watched it, even when I was a kid. Oh, just recalled there was a funny scene where a couple was copulating in the cinema amidst cheers. No nudity...just some grinding around and facial expressions. But you get the picture. *grin*
For a much better review : http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/c/cinema.html

Next clip was from Cool Runnings. Well, I didn't catch the show. But I knew what the movie was about. It's actually a fictionalization of the true story of how Jamaica formed a bobsled team for the Winter Olympics. *How cool is that?*John Candy starred in the movie. Anyway, I enjoyed seeing John Candy again. He died in 1994. I loved his films, especially Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Maybe I saw a little bit of myself in him.

Next up: M*A*S*H which stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital. The whole franchise started with a movie and then the TV dramalization.This is a dark,sardonic, quirky and sad show.And terribly funny...i.e. poking fun at grim reality. The story is focused on this particular team located near the frontlines during the Korean War. Irreverent humor at its most realistic form, totally unlike the Monty Python series(which are pretty good!). Anyway, I'll share the theme song of the movie...and maybe you will see how wonderfully strange it is;

Title: Suicide is Painless (Theme from M*A*S*H)

Through early morning fog I see
visions of the things to be
the pains that are withheld for me
I realize and I can see...

[REFRAIN]:
that suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make
all our little joys relate
without that ever-present hate
but now I know that it's too late, and...
[REFRAIN]

The game of life is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing card I'll someday lay
so this is all I have to say.

All Rights Reserved by whoever owns it.

And that is also all that I will share, because it may be construed as a depressing song.The circumstances leading to it though...are comical. Basically, making it short and sweet...Soldier finds out he's impotent. Becomes despondent. Mates stage a suicide ceremony for him. So you get this spoof of the Last Supper...after prayers..the guy climbs into a coffin, swallows a "poison" pill, and lies down. *the theme song begins* All his friends in the tent file past the coffin and bid their farewells..giving gifts..like a bottle of wine..an Ace of Spades poker card. That sorta thing.

Funny...I feel kinda stifled today. Words aren't quite flowing freely..and I suppose it's quite evident from the stuttering prose I wrote above.

*Deep in thought.*

Anyway, I wanted to share the reason and lyrics to my MSN nickname at the moment; There's Me, taken from the musical Starlight Express. Too bad I never got the chance to catch it...there are a number of nice songs from the musical..mainly....yeah..There's Me of course...U.N.C.O.U.P.L.E.D and one of my favourites, Next Time You Fall In Love.

However, I figured that it would be more appropriate to leave them out until I can write about them in a further chapter of my other ongoing series "A Love Less Ordinary"(ALLO for short). So..until then.

Thoughts of world domination
are raging through my head.
But hell and eternal damnation,
await for me instead.

Riiiiigggghhhhtttt...

You know about Heaven? The generalization of what it's like...say..the pearly gates, streets paved with gold, cherubims with harps singing angelic hymns? Now, if Andrew Lloyd Webber went to heaven, and he started composing songs for these angels instead...how cool would that be?

"Night time sharpens...heightens each sensation..."

Doesn't sound angelic...but what can I say?

Music of the Night rocks.

What's your kind of heaven?



This has been a production of the Chewrens Telibeeshun Werksop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home